Lore- Ask me what you want to know!

Section Index

Lore- Ask me what you want to know!

Corn Cake the Leaflitter Toad
Posted on 01-10-2016 16:11:31
Uhm... Gems? Somebody said "gems"?!

Well it's not like I am in charge of gem part of lore either, he-he-he... :D
But I guess I can explain somethings using the information that I know. :sleepy:

Gemstones or gems are crystal structures of unknown origin. Each gem is able to absorb and store magical energy of a certain type. Because of this, these "gems" can be harmful to creatures if the type of their essence and the type of crystal overlap. For example, opal, a gem that is able to consume life energy is mortally dangerous for anything living. Under special circumstances gems can "revive" deceased creatures, at cost of warping their minds in a way that is usually somehow connected to the magic type that these gems can absorb. However, it is thought that the ressurected bodies may be just mere puppets controlled by some twisted consciousness that mentioned gems might have. Despite this intimidating theory, gemstones are used in many magic contraptions and experiments. Creatures who were naturally revived by these crystals are known as "gembeasts". There are long-excinct creatures whose remains were buried deep underground and then resurrected by gemstones and dark. It is unknown if it was a coincidence or... Something more.

Why the darkness is needed to "activate" the reviving function of gemstones is a mystery. From our knowlege that the dark element is capable twisting the true nature of anything living or inanimate, we can come to the conclusion that the dark may somehow alter the properties of gemstones'. For example, instead of absorbing energy, the gems affected by the dark may give it away instead and corpses injected with immense amounts of that energy may come back to life. The gemstones affected by dark also seem to grow and spread all over the ressurected creture's body, which is not something "normal" gemstones do.

In the end of the day, there is a lot of mystery left in the topic of gembeasts and gemstones, however, the major concept can already be seen if you do a small logical study of the information we possess. :cool:
Shimmer the Gold Dragon
Posted on 01-30-2016 04:05:54
I think you just fried my brain. I have a very stupid question. Are the creatures in the Darklands and ruins evil?
Radish Dragon the Radish Dragon
Posted on 01-30-2016 10:51:46
Ruins? No, definitely none of the species are. Darklands? It depends. Evil is a very hard term to describe. Most of the creatures are simply misunderstood and taken for demons. A rule of thumb is that if you're allowed to take it and the castle doesn't confiscate it, then it probably isn't evil ;)
Hello there! FoM opened on July 24, 2013, and is run by me, myself, and I! If you like what I'm doing, consider supporting us on patreon, or throwing me something through Ko-Fi!

(They / Them)
Dizasis the Star
Posted on 06-23-2018 21:41:34
Here are a few questions that have come to mind for me.

1. About how many students are there at the castle? Dozens? Hundreds?

2. What exactly is an oosillian, anyway?

3. When a mage dies, what happens to their creatures?

4. How do the gods feel about having toys made of them?

5. Is it possible to permanently re-home a hatchling or adult without it being unduly traumatic for the creature in question? (Yes, I am aware that usershops, like being able to raise thousands of gigantic and dangerous creatures without any consequences, are a gameplay thing and not necessarily an actual part of the FoM world.) What about something more temporary (creature-sitting, creature mentoring, absolutely needing a pyro raptoria for the day)?

6. You've mentioned that draco at least are semi-sentient. What does this mean in terms of raising them? Is it more like raising children? More like raising (non-sentient) animals?

7. You've talked about draco sentience. For most of the other dragonish types, it's clear from the encyclopedia or can be inferred from creature descriptions. What about wyverns and wyrms, though? (From a story-writer's perspective, how much "wiggle room" is there? And - just checking - pygmy dragons are, pyro raptoria aside, not sentient, right?)
So, I seem to be one of the oldest users who still posts in the forums from time to time. I am not a moderator and don't have the power to fix any site or forum glitches, but I have been around long enough to know how most things work and to remember a good chunk of the past site events. If you have questions, start a thread in Site Help/Bugs and I'll reply when I can. I'm not here every day, but I do wander through at least a couple of times a week.

Need help with battling? Read this Battle Guide for help. Also contains known smelting recipes.

(Avatar courtesy of maident.)

Radish Dragon the Radish Dragon
Posted on 06-24-2018 16:13:40
@Mathcat Ooooo questions!

1. I would say around 3,000 students are actively attending at the castle, and most live within the local town or inside of the dorms in the nearby town. The castle is not just the only place that students might study, places like the Creche and other locations are spread throughout the region that may hold specialized classes (Carnivorous Biology 101 in the swamp lab? Of course!)

2. This one is interesting, they're a species that I have been sitting on for awhile. I originally did some adopts for them before deciding that they fit in better to the FoM world; although as such I have a quite detailed breakdown of how they work : https://sites.google.com/site/oosilians/home

3. Mage's creatures when they die are usually allowed to wander freely if possible (as in the case of dragons), or may be given to other beginning mages or donated to the Castle in the cases such as toads, chickens, and less 'intelligent' creatures that have adapted to being domestic. Dragons have the option to stay in the castle and take a new owner or become wards of the castle if they would prefer to stay around. Young mages might be assigned tasks in the stables to care for these creatures to see if a bond forms (and also ease the costs).

4. They're quite indifferent, unless they're used in an attempt to curse them. A large collection of idols might garner some attention if used in conjunction with an offering.

5. I think it's possible, you just need to have a good bond with the creature beforehand. Draco can be very self - conscious and insecure when left alone, and can quickly think they're abandoned if they haven't formed a secure enough bond with their mage. Bribing them with treats and snacks might quell them over until you come back. Less intelligent creatures might not care for the situation, but may forget their mages if they are left for longer periods of time.

6. It's comparable to raising a crow, they've got their own intelligence and smarts but there is clear communication differences between humans and them and it will lead to the occasional misunderstanding. They can possibly co-operate for tasks like pyro raptoria and arcane dragons can, but they prefer to stay away from purely mage affairs and do their own thing.

7. There is definitely wiggle room with writing because it does depend on the breed and the creature itself, it can be intelligent and smart and not want to cooperate at all or not known to be smart as a breed but the creature may be naturally curious and willing to learn. Wyverns and wyrms are typically known to be more on the brutish end of the scale, they have the typical smarts, but are naturally stubborn and tend to want to do their own thing and wander away. For the most part, indeed, pygmy draco are considered more like wild animals and treated as such.

Hello there! FoM opened on July 24, 2013, and is run by me, myself, and I! If you like what I'm doing, consider supporting us on patreon, or throwing me something through Ko-Fi!

(They / Them)
Dizasis the Star
Posted on 07-02-2018 16:56:41
Are the oosilans native to the Forest of Mirrors world, or do they come from somewhere else?
So, I seem to be one of the oldest users who still posts in the forums from time to time. I am not a moderator and don't have the power to fix any site or forum glitches, but I have been around long enough to know how most things work and to remember a good chunk of the past site events. If you have questions, start a thread in Site Help/Bugs and I'll reply when I can. I'm not here every day, but I do wander through at least a couple of times a week.

Need help with battling? Read this Battle Guide for help. Also contains known smelting recipes.

Sky Soar the Sky Amphitere
Posted on 07-03-2018 07:46:30
I'm wondering, how do I change my profile picture? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really new.
The lapping waves sharpens my claws
Posted on 08-06-2018 02:34:59
Should I put my creatures on some sites or a forum so that they grow? If so, which ones?
Dizasis the Star
6 days 2 hours 56 minutes and 37 seconds ago
At the risk of being a mini-mod, this is a thread for getting questions answered about the Forest of Mirrors world. For help with the site, you'll want to post in Support.

0 Online Site Stats